or Sign up
News

Questions for Rivian

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Domenick, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Good point!
    It seemed he hinted that this extra battery could be included in some accessories. Similar to my comment above where I suggested a battery pack embedded in a trailer. "...so these are some of the accessories we're also looking at...adding to the vehicles as well."
    Or maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear. ;)

2. RLXXI

RLXXI Rookie

Nov 26, 2018
    New Orleans
    Portable gas generator in the bed would take care of any range issues. Ran my entire home off one many times after a storm. I used the 220 outlet and back fed the whole house thru the clothes drier plug as it's wired to both 110 buses. Could easily make a pigtail for the charging cable the truck uses.

Pretty much all rv campers/motor homes have them from the factory. Most people don't realize it but all diesel locomotive engines do not power the wheels. It powers generators that are connected to electric motors that power the wheels.

Domenick likes this.
  3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Yup. Diesel-electric train locomotives are hybrid EVs. The term "EV" encompasses much, much more than just highway-capable 4-wheel passenger vehicles.

4. Alex Tewes

Alex Tewes Rookie

Feb 6, 2019
    Just a simple question. Is Australia being considered as target marked from launch date? Given our country's fascination with pick up trucks (first and second best selling vehicles are pick up trucks, or "utes" in Aussie-speech) it would make sense.

5. Fitterblue

Fitterblue Rookie

Feb 7, 2019
    I'm bummed EV companies seem to be ignoring the RV four wheel down or flat towable vehicle segment. Atlis seems to be the only upcoming EV that has addressed this market. Fingers crossed Rivian and Tesla do. Please keep that in mind. Thanks

6. JackA

JackA Rookie

Feb 28, 2018
    Washington State
    #56 JackA, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    I know about as much about the R1S today as I knew about Tesla in 2012 when I pledged $5,000 (refundable) to buy a Model S. I have gained total confidence in the technology over the last six years and 130,000 miles. I have reason to believe that Rivian and its team can bring their EV to the street. I would like a less "urban" interior, as I will using my R1S in remote difficult terrain where it will be dirty most of the time.

7. kidkuryente

kidkuryente Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    trailer with propulsion sounds good. but how about trailer wheels with regen as its being towed. im not an engineer but just tought of that idea.

8. RedworcJC

RedworcJC Rookie

Aug 27, 2019
    Rivian: I talked to plenty of tow truck drivers regarding Tesla's and heard stories that had me thinking. In certain collisions where a Tesla was struck by another vehicle and the damage completely killed the cars systems a flat bed tow truck couldn't move the car. The gear shift couldn't be placed in Nuetral to even push it out of the middle of the road. Another story was a Tesla stored in a narrow garage, battery dead completely and Tow truck couldnt do anything to get the Tesla in Nuetral. Brings me to my question... Will Rivian R1T & R1S, if the vision is adventure and some offroading, have the same issues as Tesla? Clearly Roadside assistance in a remote area is not necessarily ideal as a first option lifeline at least for me. I driven through 3 feet of water and watched a friends truck get stuck due to electrical issue thanks to the stream water but luckily he had a manual transmission and I was able to pull him out of there. Is this a concern Rivian has addressed? I know Toyota addressed it on the Prius, Tesla's I heard you have to remove the entire front bumper to get to battery terminals to address power issues those Tow Truck drivers have faced. I wonder if Rivian has considered and provided solutions to those potentially foreseeable issues???

9. Domenick

Domenick Administrator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I believe in the case of the Teslas, the issue is the electronic parking brake. Older versions could be released manually with a wrench, but that would require some knowledge of how they work.

I can't say if Rivian has addressed this, but this could be one of those little things that are extremely helpful in some cases. I would suggest some of manual brake unlock set up.

(Here's a good thread on the Tesla Motors Club forum about the issue.)

10. RomanV

RomanV Rookie

Aug 31, 2019
    Most EVs use a solenoid actuated park pawl when the vehicle is placed in Park or when 12V power is lost. I’m not sure any have a manual release for the pawl but I’d certainly welcome that feature. I’ve also had an electric vehicle lose all power and brick itself. All was not lost though as I was able to jack the drive axle off the ground and place it onto dollies.

Domenick likes this.
  11. ajdelange

ajdelange Rookie

Mar 22, 2019
    #61 ajdelange, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    The Tesla S and X run all the accessories the same way ICE vehicles do, from a 12V battery. As this battery never has to handle a cranking load it is small. If it dies you can't control the car. But if it dies you can jump it in the same way that you jump an ICE vehicle and, presumably, then control the car enough to get it out of park. Now IIRC the 3 does not have the low voltage battery running all the control systems from as DC/DC converter. I have no idea whatsoever how Rivian will supply the low voltage loads in their vehicles. However they do it they will, we hope, design such that we can get out of a dead battery pickle without requiring drastic techniques.

{EDIT} IDNRC (I did not recall correctly). The 3 does have a 12 V battery.

RomanV and Domenick like this.
  12. ajdelange

ajdelange Rookie

Mar 22, 2019
    So let's think about how this works. You take your Home Depot 5 kW generator and some jerry cans along and when your battery gets low you pull over, fire up the generator, charge for a few minutes, and get back on the road. Sounds like a plan but let's just check on what a "few minutes" might amount to. The R1T will go about 400 miles on 180 kWH. That's 400/180 = 2.2 miles per kWh. Relative to generator power it's actually going to be more like 2 because of charging inefficiencies and 2 makes the math easier so your 5 kW generator will give you about 10 miles of range per hour of charging. Yes, that may get you out of a dead battery disaster if you are close to some place where you can plug in and charge but note that unless that place has a DC super charger you are only going to be able to charge at about 20 miles per hour as the AC charger in the truck is only rated 11 kW.

From another POV: could you drive 300 mi out into the boonies, camp for a week and run the generator 15 hrs to recharge the batteries for the return trip? Why not?

Unless you opened the service disconnect you put lives at risk. This practice is absolutely forbidden for that reason. Lest you think me holier than thou I confess that I have done this but there were two disconnects between the panel I energized and the utility and they were always both opened. I did not allow anyone in my family to set this up except me. I have degrees in electrical engineering. Nonetheless i could forget and degrees or no this is still illegal.

If you want to power your house from a portable (or other) generator you must install a proper transfer switch configured such that the generator and utility cannot ever be connected to each other. They are relatively inexpensive and available from Amazon, Home Depot etc.

EyeOnEVs likes this.
  13. RLXXI

RLXXI Rookie

Nov 26, 2018
    New Orleans
    #63 RLXXI, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    You're not the only one with experience on this subject, I also have extensive electrical/electronics background . Of course I turned off the main when I used the portable generator in this fashion.

I no longer have a portable for power outages but I would use one again in a heartbeat in the same fashion if needed. I now have a Generac whole home back up with auto switch installed.

[​IMG]

Don't assume anything ever and thank you for your concern but you're preaching to the choir.

14. ajdelange

ajdelange Rookie

Mar 22, 2019
    Bad advice. The wise man is a Bayesian. He considers what he knows a-priori and merges it with what he observes to make assumptions on which to base his decisions. Besides which much of the advancement of science is based on analysis which begins with assumptions.

Bayesian reasoning says that's the wise thing to do in this case because if one does he is likely to fire off a caveat against back feeding and that is what I did.

Now lets look at how well you follow your own advice about not making assumptions:

You have assumed that the caveat against back feeding is aimed at you personally. In fact it was put out to warn others against this practice.

You are assuming I have an extensive electrical/electronics background.

You are assuming that this is safe practice. Were it so the NEC would simply require that one shut off the main disconnect. But it doesn't. It requires a transfer switch. There is a real danger in doing what you (and I) did, other readers should be strongly warned against it and if we did it in the past we were indeed stupid!

Did you see his license? If not you assumed he was licensed.

You're welcome, I guess but the concern wasn't really for you but for the linemen whose lives you endangered.

15. RLXXI

RLXXI Rookie

Nov 26, 2018
    New Orleans
    Oh great god of knowledge, please feed me more of your unending wisdom. :rolleyes:

Everything permanently installed where I live must be inspected by the local Firechief as well as the county electrical engineer, and building inspector.

Take your b/s and peddle it else where.

16. ajdelange

ajdelange Rookie

Mar 22, 2019
    Be happy to help you if I can but I don't see how the fact that inspections are required in your jurisdiction (as they are in nearly all) has relevance to the discussion at hand.