or Sign up
News

Longer beds

Discussion in 'Future vehicles' started by Billinbiz, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Billinbiz

Billinbiz Rookie

Feb 14, 2021
    hey Rivian, don't forget about us business people who need 6.5 ft or longer beds for cargo.

2. stevesnj

stevesnj Rookie

May 14, 2021
    RIVIAN sells their skateboard platforms to commercial vehicle makers so you could see a long bed but under a different vehicle name.

3. Fred Golden

Fred Golden Rookie

Jul 2, 2021
    I think that Rivian will have it's hands full building all the orders they have taken over the past several months, and probably have enough orders to last them through the end of 2022.

To build a 24" longer bed would require a longer wheelbase, they just can't hang more bed behind the rear axle, this has to do with weight distribution when loading the bed of the truck and towing. So if they extend the wheelbase by 20" then they could install a 24" longer pickup bed. But what reason do they have for selling a longer truck? If they have potential to sell say 20,000 more of these longer trucks a year, well great reason to invest $85,000,000 in a longer wheelbase chassis?? I don't think so.

Also there is the problem with car carriers. If they can find a way to stuff 8 or 9 of these trucks onto one car carrier, probably a longer bed version will only be able to hold 6 of the larger vehicles on one transport truck. The transport truck is only allowed to be 65 or 70 feet overall length depending on the state they are driving into. You can google car transport carriers to see how difficult it is to set up and transport a dozen Ford crewcab F-150's on a transporter, they only fit 6 on each transporter that could carry 9 cars easy.

So I don't see any incentive to sell a longer truck. Sorry to bring up the sad news.

When Rivian sees it is losing sales to those who will not buy one unless it has a certain bed length, they might change the design to something with a regular cab and perhaps a 8' bed. However I think they will keep busy enough selling the truck it already has designed.