or Sign up
News

Lincoln cancels Rivian-based vehicle

Discussion in 'Vehicles sharing Rivian platform' started by Domenick, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2017
    The plan for Ford and Rivian to jointly develop an SUV for the Lincoln brand has been shelved. The coronavirus pandemic was named as the root reason. Lincoln told its dealers about the decision yesterday (Tuesday).

A statement from the company reads: "Our strategic commitment to Lincoln, Rivian and electrification remains unchanged and Lincoln's future plans will include an all-electric vehicle consistent with its Quiet Flight DNA."

Despite the decision, Lincoln claims it's still committed to the Rivian partnership. Apparently, they are still going to work together "on an alternative vehicle based on Rivian's skateboard platform."

That basically covers the factual news. I'll leave my opinion for another post.

2. Domenick

Domenick Administrator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I'm of two minds (maybe more) about this. First, it sucks for Rivian. They still have a huge amount of work they need to accomplish with their own orders and those from Amazon, but this was really a nice bonus deal for them. Besides the obvious revenue inflow, I think it builds confidence in the company overall when an established automaker turned to them for vehicles.

For Ford, it's a bit more complicated. I've felt like they've had a bit of a scattergun approach when it comes to their EV program:
    I think they should have taken a page from VW (and now GM) and built a flexible platform upon which to build multiple vehicle types for both of their brands. So, there's no way of knowing at the moment how, exactly, this will affect their EV program beyond the obvious -- no electric SUV for Lincoln in the short term.

What I hope they decide to do is to build a Lincoln crossover based on the Mach-E. It makes the most sense (to me, at least). And preferably, not just a re-badging of the Mach-E, but rater a unique vehicle that Ford could also sell under the Ford name in Europe.